- Browser Extension Distribution Scenarios
- Google Admin References
- Setting the Installation Policy in the Google Admin Console
- Requiring an Extension Link
- PixieBrix Chrome Extension Details
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- What browser permissions does PixieBrix's extension require?
Browser Extension Distribution Scenarios
There are two approaches to distributing the the PixieBrix Browser Extension within your organization:
- Installation from Chrome Web Store. Add the PixieBrix extension to Chrome's “Allow List” so that each team member can individually install PixieBrix browser extension. Your team members will follow the instructions at Installing from the Chrome Web Store
- Automatic Installation. Add PixieBrix to Chrome's list of "Force Install" extensions to have Chrome automatically install the browser extension on team member's browsers. Your team members will follow the instructions at Completing Automatic Installation
Google Admin References
Refer to the Google documentation for how your organization manages access to Chrome Browser Extensions:
- Google Chrome Enterprise Help: Managing Extensions in your Enterprise
- Set Chrome policies for users or browsers
Setting the Installation Policy in the Google Admin Console
You can use the Google Admin Console to install the PixieBrix Chrome Browser Extension on all managed accounts, or allow installing it if extensions are blocked by default. On the Google Admin console, the page used for configuring extensions is under Devices > Chrome > Apps & Extensions > User Browsers
Select the Organization Unit to apply the policy
Click the yellow
+ button in the bottom right to add an extension, and click “Add Chrome App or Extension by ID”:
Enter the PixieBrix Chrome Web Store Extension ID
mpjjildhmpddojocokjkgmlkkkfjnepo and click Save to add PixieBrix
Click the Installation Policy to change the default installation policy:
- Force install + pin to browser toolbar
- Force install
- Allow install
After saving, the extension will be installed for any accounts set to have it installed to if you chose to Force install.
Requiring an Extension Link
By default, on installation, the PixieBrix extension prompts the team member to link the extension to a PixieBrix account. However, if the team member closes the extension, PixieBrix will not prompt them to link the extension again.
To require a team member to link the extension to a PixieBrix account, PixieBrix supports using Chrome’s Managed Policy feature to associate an extension installed with your organization. As part of the PixieBrix heartbeat every 5min., PixieBrix will check if it’s unlinked and prompt the user to link their extension.
To verify that Chrome is reading the managed policy, navigate to
chrome://policy in your Chrome browser
If you have the PixieBrix extension installed (v1.5.10 or higher), you’ll see the policy value you’ve provided. For example:
On Window, use the registry to set the
managedOrganizationId property for the extension:
The type of the managedOrganizationId key should be REG_SZ (a string) and provide the UUID for your organization.
PixieBrix Chrome Extension Details
The PixieBrix Chrome Extension is Public but "unlisted" – i.e., you can not find it using search engines or via searching the Chrome Web Store
Instead, to ensure your users install the correct extension, we recommend having them install via https://app.pixiebrix.com or using Chrome's "Force install" feature. Instructions are available in the
- Chrome Web Store URL